Samsung has pointed the finger at an "external energy source" as the instigator behind an exploding Galaxy S III last month.
An Irish user of Samsung’s flagship smartphone was caught by surprise last month when his device caught fire while mounted on the dashboard of his car.
He reported seeing white flames and hearing a bang, later finding the smartphone had burned from the inside out and melted the case.
The user at the time admitted the incident could have been a combination of the mount and the car’s heating system, a theory repeated in Samsung’s preliminary investigation.
Samsung today said no fault had been found with the phone.
An investigation by Fire Investigations in the UK found an “external energy source was responsible for generating the heat”.
“The investigation results state, 'the only way it was possible to produce damage similarly to the damage recorded within the owner's damaged device was to place the devices or component parts with a domestic microwave,'" Samsung wrote on its blog.
Copyright © CRN Australia. All rights reserved.
Issue: 333 | November 2014
Access CRN's extensive online resources including; email bulletins, community discussions and unique online news.
Processing registration... Please wait.
This process can take up to a minute to complete.
A confirmation email has been sent to your email address - SUPPLIED GOES EMAIL HERE. Please click on the link in the email to verify your email address. You need to verify your email before you can log on to the CRN website or start posting comments on articles.
If you do not receive your confirmation email within the next few minutes, it may be because the email has been captured by a junk mail filter. Please ensure you add the domain '@crn.com.au' to your white-listed senders.