An Apple iPhone has spontaneously combusted in the pocket of its Finnish owner.
The incident, caught on CCTV camera, set the jeans pocket of Apple customer Henri Helminen alight, reports Finnish publication Kauppalehti (via The Register).
The 17-year old had just exited his vehicle and was walking to another destination when smoke started streaming from his pocket.
The incident is the second reported spontaneous combustion of a smartphone this year.
A Samsung Galaxy S III exploded in Ireland late last month, causing the phone maker to launch a full investigation into the safety of its flagship device, the findings of which are yet to be made public.
The incident occured inside the car of a Dublin man who claimed his Galaxy S III had exploded while mounted on the dashboard.
He reported seeing white flames and hearing a bang, later finding the smartphone had burned from the inside out and melted the case.
It's not the first time users of Apple products have reported issues with excessive heat.
Apple earned the ire of its iPad customers following the launch of its latest version of the tablet in March this year, with users complaining the device was “too hot to hold”.
Apple’s iPad forum lit up with complaints the iPad would overheat in the lower-left hand corner when held in portrait mode with the home-button at the bottom.
HP also came under fire last year when researchers discovered a bug in the company’s LaserJet printers that could allow hackers to set the device on fire.
Copyright © CRN Australia. All rights reserved.
Issue: 345 | December 2015