As the great Jobsy hands in his CEO badge, we take a look at some of the quotes that turned him into an icon for geeks and gadget lovers alike. Here are 10 of our favourites…
1. "We're gambling on our vision, and we would rather do that than make "me too" products. Let some other companies do that. For us, it's always the next dream" – 1984, regarding the release of the iconic Macintosh. 2. "It is hard to think that a $2 billion company with 4,300-plus people couldn't compete with six people in blue jeans" – 1985, Jobs talks tough, following Apple's lawsuit against him after his resignation to form NeXT.
3. "What a computer is to me is the most remarkable tool that we have ever come up with. It's the equivalent of a bicycle for our minds" – 1991, we're not sure about the bicycle part, but you'd be hard pressed to argue against the importance of PCs.
4. "Being the richest man in the cemetery doesn't matter to me ... Going to bed at night saying we've done something wonderful... that's what matters to me" – 1993, a rather deep and thought provoking response to arch-nemesis Bill Gates’ success.
5. "It will go down in history as a turning point for the music industry. This is landmark stuff. I can't overestimate it!" – 2003, on the miraculous little white slab that stored thousands of our favourite songs – a true revolution.
6. "There are sneakers that cost more than an iPod" – 2003, we don’t know what kind of shoes Steve wears but they’re probably covered in platinum.
7. "I make 50 cents for showing up ... and the other 50 cents is based on my performance" – 2007, Steve on his legendary $1 a year salary.
8. "Blu-ray is a bag of hurt" – 2008, his controversial reason for excluding the HD format from all Apple products.
9. "Stop me if you've seen this before." – 2010, a crafty dig at the infamous ‘iPhone in-a-bar’ scandal which resulted in the leak of the iPhone 4 prior to its launch.
10. "And one more thing..." A magical phrase which has preceded the revelation of a slew of drool-inducing tech ranging from the MacBook Pro to the iPod Touch.
Here's one of his best speeches ever given:
Copyright © Stuff.tv
Issue: 315 | May 2013
Access CRN's extensive online resources including; email bulletins, community discussions and unique online news.
Processing registration... Please wait.
This process can take up to a minute to complete.
A confirmation email has been sent to your email address - SUPPLIED GOES EMAIL HERE. Please click on the link in the email to verify your email address. You need to verify your email before you can log on to the CRN website or start posting comments on articles.
If you do not receive your confirmation email within the next few minutes, it may be because the email has been captured by a junk mail filter. Please ensure you add the domain '@crn.com.au' to your white-listed senders.