Samsung has pointed the finger at an "external energy source" as the instigator behind an exploding Galaxy S III last month.
An Irish user of Samsung’s flagship smartphone was caught by surprise last month when his device caught fire while mounted on the dashboard of his car.
He reported seeing white flames and hearing a bang, later finding the smartphone had burned from the inside out and melted the case.
The user at the time admitted the incident could have been a combination of the mount and the car’s heating system, a theory repeated in Samsung’s preliminary investigation.
Samsung today said no fault had been found with the phone.
An investigation by Fire Investigations in the UK found an “external energy source was responsible for generating the heat”.
“The investigation results state, 'the only way it was possible to produce damage similarly to the damage recorded within the owner's damaged device was to place the devices or component parts with a domestic microwave,'" Samsung wrote on its blog.