Cloudera and Hortonworks reveal US$5.2bn merger

By on
Cloudera and Hortonworks reveal US$5.2bn merger

Cloudera and Hortonworks, two of the largest providers of open source enterprise Hadoop products, have announced a merger of equals deal that's said to place their joint value at US$5.2 billion.

The deal is an all-stock merger, with Cloudera stockholders taking ownership of about 60 percent of the combined company, with Hortonworks stockholders taking the remaining 40 percent. The combined companies will boast more than 2500 customers, around US$720 million in revenue, and over US$500 million in debt-free cash.

Where Hortonworks has largely relied on charging for support services as a purely open source provider, Cloudera based much of its business on subscription services. The deal will likely see many Hortonworks customers transition over to a subscription fee, providing an early spike in revenue for the joint company.

The deal places the companies in a far better position to take on newer cloud solutions by providing a platform that covers multiple cloud types, as well as on-premise and edge. It also gives the two companies a far better chance at maintaining profitability in the heavily crowded big data space.

"This compelling merger will create value for our respective stockholders and allow customers, partners, employees and the open source community to benefit from the enhanced offerings, larger scale and improved cost competitiveness inherent in this combination," said Rob Bearden, chief executive officer of Hortonworks.

"Together, we are well positioned to continue growing and competing in the streaming and IoT, data management, data warehousing, machine learning/AI and hybrid cloud markets. Importantly, we will be able to offer a broader set of offerings that will enable our customers to capitalize on the value of their data."

Cloudera chief executive Tom Reilly will serve as CEO of the combined firm, while Hortonworks' COO and CFO Scott Davidson will stay on as COO.

Current Hortonworks boss Rob Bearden will join the board of directors, with current Cloudera board member Marty Cole moving up to the role of chairman.

Shares in the firms spiked post the news, with Cloudera stock surging 26 percent in after-hours trading, and Hortonworks rising by 27 percent.

This article originally appeared at itpro.co.uk

Got a news tip for our journalists? Share it with us anonymously here.
Copyright © ITPro, Dennis Publishing
Tags:

Most Read Articles

You must be a registered member of CRN to post a comment.
| Register

Log In

Username / Email:
Password:
  |  Forgot your password?