Symantec acquires VPN software vendor SurfEasy for $50 million

By on
Symantec acquires VPN software vendor SurfEasy for $50 million

Symantec has added more muscle to its consumer security business unit with the acquisition of secure virtual private network (VPN) maker SurfEasy in a US$38.5 million deal.

SurfEasy's parent Opera Software said it was an all-cash deal with 85 percent paid at closing and the remaining 15 percent held in escrow for up to 15 months.

SurfEasy, which will become part of Symantec's consumer business unit, was already an OEM provider to Symantec powering the Norton Wi-Fi VPN product.

The deal comes just one week after Symantec raised the outlook on the consumer business with projections for mid-single-digit growth rates. That's a dramatic turnaround from a year ago when Symantec's consumer business was experiencing high single digit or even double-digit sales declines.

The current Symantec Norton Wi-Fi VPN product,  which is powered by SurfEasy, has seen "strong momentum" in the wake of the KRACK vulnerability in the wi-fi protocol that came to light last month, said Symantec CEO Greg Clark on the company's earnings call last week. He said the spike in the VPN product was "very, very substantial" with the offering adding as much as US$30 to US$50 a year subscription growth rates to the standard Norton security product.

This article originally appeared at

Got a news tip for our journalists? Share it with us anonymously here.
Copyright © 2018 The Channel Company, LLC. All rights reserved.

Most Read Articles

You must be a registered member of CRN to post a comment.
| Register


Disties and vendors are pushing their financial services. Are you biting?
Yes - to move away from banks!
Yes - to spread risk
Yes - dipping toes in the water
Not yet - but we like the look of it
No - looked at it and decided not to
No - it's just not right for us
View poll archive

Log In

Username / Email:
  |  Forgot your password?