The Communications, Electrical and Plumbers Union has directed its members who work for Telstra to refuse any form of overtime as of Wednesday March 13th, 2019.
The directive follows the union’s call for a nationwide strike on Tuesday 12 March, which was announced earlier this week.
“The union is directing all members employed by Telstra … across all states and territories to refuse to engage in any and all forms of additional hours, including scheduled and unscheduled overtime, from 12:01 am Wednesday 13 March until further notice,” the Union (CEPU) said.
The ban, however, excludes union members working for Triple Zero call centres and in cases where there is a threat to life or the safety of persons.
This is the latest in a series of industrial actions the CEPU has planned for its Telstra members against the telco over changes to their enterprise agreement.
After 88 percent of Telstra CEPU members voted “yes” to a protected action ballot in February, the union directed members to refuse taking specific work duties starting 7 March.
Telstra retaliated by saying those who took such action would be docked a full day's pay, which led to CEPU declaring a 24-hour work stoppage on 12 March. The telco said at the time it "respects the legal right" of the union and its membership to partake in the strike.