Woman's headphones explode on flight to Melbourne

By on
Woman's headphones explode on flight to Melbourne

The Australian Transport Security Bureau has warned travellers about the dangers of using battery-powered devices on planes after a woman's headphones caught fire on a flight from Beijing to Melbourne.

The woman suffered burns to her face and hands approximately two hours into the flight when the headphones caught fire while she was sleeping.

“As I went to turn around I felt burning on my face. I just grabbed my face which caused the headphones to go around my neck," she said.

“I continued to feel burning so I grabbed them off and threw them on the floor. They were sparking and had small amounts of fire.

“As I went to stamp my foot on them the flight attendants were already there with a bucket of water to pour on them. They put them into the bucket at the rear of the plane.”

The ATSB said that the fire was likely caused by the batteries in her headphones. The headphones were melted onto the floor of the plane, forcing other passengers to the smell of melted plastic, burnt electronics and burnt hair, according to the ATSB.

The bureau has cautioned passengers using battery-powered devices, saying they should always be kept in approved storage unless being used, and spare batteries must be kept in carry-on baggage, not checked baggage.

Passengers whose smartphones or other devices that have fallen into a seat gap should locate their device before moving powered seats, or refrain from moving their seat until cabin crew can be contacted.

ATSB did not identify the brand or model of headphones in question.

Copyright © CRN Australia. All rights reserved.
Tags:

Most Read Articles

You must be a registered member of CRN to post a comment.
| Register

Poll

Do you actively try to minimise company tax?
Yes
No
View poll archive

Log In

Username / Email:
Password:
  |  Forgot your password?